Looking for Boat Insurance in Florida?
Florida Boat Insurance
Living in Florida, boating season is a year-round activity. The idea of protecting your boat and loved ones aboard the boat should be on your mind year-round also. Sadly, 6 out of 10 accidents result in some sort of death or injury.
Every accident averages $11,000 in physical damages. As much as we do not like to think about it, these things happen. Having a good boat policy may save you from financial ruin. Don’t let what I call the “Myths of Boat Insurance,” keep you from protecting your family!
Boat Insurance Myths
One of the biggest myths out there is that folks think their boat is covered under their home insurance policy. Most home insurance policies have provisions for boat insurance, but the length and horsepower of the boat need to be within certain restrictions. If they are outside of those restrictions in the policy, there is no coverage.
Please speak with your insurance agent about ANY boat you own, to make sure you are protecting yourself.
Boat Insurance Cost
The second myth is that the boat insurance is “too expensive!” Boat policies are very reasonable in pricing for the value and protection they provide. Every situation is different, but please speak with us before jumping to this conclusion. There are a myriad of coverages to choose from. We will look at those next.
Boat Insurance Quote
When choosing a policy, some folks don’t know what they are looking at. The breakdown of a policy is strait forward. This is a very “simple” breakdown that I use with my clients. This is not exhaustive.
- “Bodily Injury” – those are the medical damages you do to other people when you are driving the boat.
- “Property Damage” – those are damages that you do to other people’s stuff
- “Uninsured Boater” – Coverage for you and your occupants in the event the “other boat” does not have insurance.
There are many add-ons that every company has. I have a list of some of them below.
- Total Loss Replacement— replaces insured’s boat with a brand new one of similar make and quality
- Disappearing Deductibles— reduces the deductible by 25 percent at each claim free renewal
- Towing— Help comes to your customer if they’re stranded on the water and need fuel, a jump, or tow with no out-of-pocket costs!
- Trailer Trip Interruption coverage— pays for meals, transportation and lodging if you have a trailer or tow vehicle breakdown or accident while towing your watercraft more than 100 miles from home
- Hurricane Haul Out coverage— reimburses the customer 50 percent of the cost incurred to haul out their boat due to a named storm
- Replacement Cost Fishing Equipment— up to $10,000 for tackle, rods, and reels
- Replacement Cost Personal Effects— protects the insured’s personal items including cameras, clothes, cell phones, etc.
- Wreckage Removal coverage— Pays for any attempted raising, removal or destruction of the wreckage
- Fuel Spill Liability— Coverage for unintentional oil or fuel spills that result in bodily injury or property damage
- Medical Payments— may include coverage for water-skiers
All these things come with a cost, but so does everything else. At DLR Insurance Group, we can help you choose the correct coverage for you and your boat. We want you to enjoy your boat without you worrying if something happens!
Contact DLR Insurance Group today to speak with us about your boat insurance quote!
The Department of Homeland Security and The Coast Guard puts out a study on “Recreational Boating Statistics” every year.